Oranienburg concentration camp
The Heinkel-Werke in Oranienburg was of great importance for the German arms industry. During the war fighter planes were built in several large halls. First with German workers who came from the entire territory of the Reich and were housed in special quarters. Later workers from all of Europe were set to work through the Arbeitseinsatz and also soldiers who were prisoners of war. Starting in March 1942, prisoners from the nearby Sachsenhausen concentration camp were set to work.
Wooden barracks were constructed on the factory site for these prisoners. In 1944 there were more than 6,000 prisoners. In 1944 and 1945 the shop floors were bombed by the Americans. More than 100 prisoners were killed during one of these attacks in 1944. In 1945 the factory was taken over by the Americans and the camp that was part of it was liberated.